Services and Accommodations


For Students – Student Services and Accommodations

The University offers many services to its students with disabilities.  These can include:

  • Pre-admission counseling and new student orientation
  • Academic accommodations and counseling
    • priority registration and scheduling
    • alternative testing
    • taped texts
    • auxiliary aids and services
      • notetakers
      • laboratory assistants
      • readers and/or scribes
      • sign language/oral interpreters and captioning services
    • assistive listening devices
    • assistive technology
    • alternative formats for printed material
  • Counseling
  • Financial aid counseling
  • Referral and liaison services to agencies such as the Commission on the Deaf and Hearing Impaired, Bureau of Rehabilitation Services, Board of Education Services for the Blind, as well as Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic for taped texts
  • Information and referral source to University and community programs and services

Eligibility for these services is determined individually based on documented need. Early planning is essential for many of the resources and accommodations provided so we ask that you contact us at the earliest possible date in order for us to assist with your needs.

Service Differences Between High School and College

Students with disabilities who are entering college for the first time will see a change in their rights and responsibilities, as well as a change in the types of services offered.  It is wise to learn these differences before entering college to increase the chances for success in post-secondary education.  The following is a summary of the difference of services for high school and college students.  Please feel free to contact the disability services office if you have any questions or would like additional information.

Difference #1: Section 504 requires elementary, middle and high schools to provide free appropriate public education (FAPE) for each child with a disability.  In contrast, FAPE does not apply at the college level.  Colleges are required to offer appropriate academic adjustments to protect its’ students from discrimination based on disability. 

Difference #2: Students with disabilities can expect to work closely with the disability services coordinator to determine which academic accommodations are appropriate.  Unlike high school, however, the student has more direct involvement in the process than the parents.  This often involves a transition period where students learn how disability relates to academic life and they learn how to become their own spokesperson.  For more information about parental involvement please visit the Parent Page.

Difference #3: Students with disabilities must identify themselves if they are interested in requesting academic accommodations, whereas in high school, students are identified if they demonstrate a need for services.  In a nutshell, the responsibility of identifying disability status shifts from the school district to the individual students.  Students must request services and follow the established procedures.

Difference #4: In order to be eligible for services based on a disability, an IEP or 504 plan is not generally considered sufficient documentation.  They are helpful because they identify strategies for academic success, but colleges require documentation from a licensed health care provider.  Please visit the Documentation Guidelines for a list of specific documentation criteria for the University of Connecticut.